Monday, August 22, 2011

The Wombats

I love this name. It's much cuter and cuddlier than a certain parasite. I was introduced to the Wombats by a dear friend who is currently residing in fabulous Los Angeles. But according to her, the city ain't all that fab. Only in my head. Let's keep it that way for now.

I love the Wombats like I love cookie dough. So questionable at first glance but so warm and gooey once you've taken the leap! The Wombats came together in 2003 and consists of 3 members from Liverpool, England. Matthew Murphy, Dan Haggis and Tord Ă˜verland-Knudsen came out with their first single, Tales of Girls, Boys and Marsupials. No word if Taz was involved with this production.

Their debut album, "A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation" came out in November of 2007. Oh, and it hit platinum status in the UK and gold in Australia! Figures why New Yorkers were just going about their day on there subway when the Wombats were performing "Backfire at the Disco." Blah, who am I kidding. I wouldn't care who showed up on the subway either. It takes long enough to get from Point A to Point B already without losing your sanity.

The song, "Kill the Director," from this album has such a morbid title. But you gotta give it a chance. It's hysterically true! Makes me do the Lisa Simpson crack laugh.
Sample lyrics: Here's another song about a gender I'll never understand / If this is a rom-com then kill the director, please

They came out with their second album, "This Modern Glitch," in April 2011. AND the Wombats will be performing at Webster Hall on October 19, 2011. Get your tickets ($16 advance/$20 at door)! Please, get your tickets and join me there. I'm still looking for some peeps to go with!

Here's "Backfire at the Disco" on the subway. Look at that guy busting some moves with his soda cup! He knows what's kicking. Wait. Is that my train line?






No comments:

Post a Comment