Thursday, August 4, 2011

Ellie Goulding @ Union Square 7/2011

This past Saturday, Ellie Goulding performed at Best Buy at Union Square in NYC. And I got there 1.5 hours early to see her! I would've been there earlier if it wasn't for the infamous MTA verse, "We are delayed because of train traffic. Please be patient," blaring into my ears for over an hour. I find it hard to believe that no one has gone nuts on one of these subways by now. #$*&^%!@*.

Anywho, I picked my spot, got my CD and a nice wristband to meet Ellie after the show. Ah, living the moment as a groupie. I totally went head over heels a while ago when I first heard her dance song, Lights, and her beautiful ballad, The Writer. Her heavy British accent shines so brightly through every one of her words. You and I know we love it! Finally the moment has come.

Ellie first sang her hit dance song, "Lights." Acoustic. Girl can sing her lungs out! The CD does her no justice in displaying the power, strength and rawness of her voice. I was very surprised. Seeing her live changed everything.

Most of her songs are electropop and dance. She has the appeal of Kylie Minogue, the humbleness of girl-next-door Cheryl Cole, and the powerful lungs of Natasha Bedingfield. But Ellie is an absolute original. Just listen. I must also add that you should not trust the pictures. Ellie is even more stunningly beautiful in person.

This UK powerhouse has been touring in the States and will be one of the headliners at the concert, Music to Know in the Hamptons in August. Ellie started her career in 2009 with her debut single, "Under the Sheets." It hit the top of the UK charts. Her debut album, Lights, came out in March of last year. One of my favorite songs is "Salt Skin." She sang it on Saturday as well. But after taking a load of pictures for the first 10 minutes, I had to put away all my shenanigans and ENJOY the performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment