Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Like, The Offsprings

The Like - June Gloom


Around 1:30 a.m.-ish, on a random night, I was eating meatballs and sipping on a glass of sauvignon blanc. Yeah. I don't get the meatballs, either. I was waiting for CSI: Miami to come back from commercial. So I did the flip and landed on some channel that was interviewing a British band, "The Like." Well, I heard Brit accents and I assumed they were. But they originated in Los Angeles. Then I flipped back to Lt. Horatio. And finished my meatballs.

The lead vocal of the band, Elizabeth Berg, is American and daughter of big music honcho, Tony Berg. Tony has been a staple guitarist for many bands like, Air Supply. Elizabeth started the band back in 2001. Avaerage age is around 25. Now, with a new addition to her band (from 3 to 4 members), they've been hitting more circuits in the U.K. What's up with the U.K. connection? That accent I heard was from Tennessee Thomas, the drummer of The Like. She's also Pete Thomas' kid. FYI, Pete Thomas is the former drummer for Elvis Costello and one of the best and most wanted drummers in the field. If you've got the connections, why not use it? Especially when you're the offsprings! And I guess it helps to write your songs since its in your blood already, haha.

Their new album was released in June 2010, entitled Release Me. It's quite a catchy song. I like this latest album better than their first one, Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking? (circa 2005). They're a bit more grown-up now. And then I find out they actually toured with Muse. ?? MUSE!! Oh, connections or talent related? Heck, if you both, use them!! Awesome. And just a note, I heard of Muse and listened to their songs waaaaaay before that tweeny cheesy Twilight explosion.

I am surprised by how much I like their songs, though. Indie catagory, again. I'm not even a hipster!

No comments:

Post a Comment