Monday, June 27, 2011

Pianos 6, 7, 8...and more!

Well, I went hunting again. Enjoy!

This guy was playing "Lean On Me," when I walked up. He had help from 2 singing vendors working nearby! @ Astor Place

Sometimes in our lives
We all have pain
We all have sorrow
But if we are wise
We know that there's always tomorrow

Lean on me
When you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on




Battery Park! I had a hard time looking for this one. I figured since the Park isn't THAT big I'm sure I can find it...within an hour or so. As I walked along the waters I took in the view of my beloved Lady Liberty, the fishermen and the tourists (well they were in my way, lol). I walked all the way to the end and still, no sign of a piano. I stood for a minute and then I heard tinkering. A lot of tinkering. I turned around and BAM! 20 feet from me a man was brushing up his skills.


I gasped when I took off the tarp on this one. It has the official logo of the event! Yay for Sing for Hope! And it is so shiny. But I seriously wished it was at a less smelly place. It was kind of close to a restaurant's side door. This piano was stationed at the beginning of Coenties Alley. I haven't been back in this area for brunch in a long time.




I love flowers =) This one was hiding in City Hall Park behind City Hall. I was sad to see that this piano had gotten pretty worn from the weather. It's music books were still soggy from the rain probably the day before. A biker came up to me and said he was surprised that this piano was still able to carry a tune! We both agreed that this poor thing has been through a lot. After my photo session I covered her back up.




This trio was IN THE ZONE. The rest of the city was just background noise for them. I was lucky that they stopped for 2 seconds. Enough time for me to ask permission to take a picture of them (but the piano was the star, lol). CLICK. Trio resumes discussing their next piece. Latin dance.



CHINATOWN. I had to pay attention to the detail of this design. It was so simple but so nice. It's a brush drawing of a rabbit (for the rabbit year) and the iris is written over with the characters for sun and moon. I was in Chinese music central when I got here. Columbus Park is filled with old Chinese people singing opera, pop, old school music, playing chess or just chillin. On the other side of the park, you can spot a few basketball games going on. Ah, what a beautiful day. The group, to the right of the piano, was singing "My Heart Will Go On." I haven't heard that song in years and would've never expected to hear it here! Bravo! It was definitely fun to chat with the older people. They looked on as I took off the tarp of the piano. Of course I carefully wrapped it back after I was done. I was explaining to a few of them the purpose of it being here. The piano definitely belonged in this music haven.

No comments:

Post a Comment