Thursday, October 21, 2010

CMJ @ Bowery Ballroom, on a lovely Wed night

8:30 PM at the Bowery Ballroom. I was aching for my pillow. Way. Too. Sleepy. It was my fault for not sleeping earlier the night before. Hey, laundry day/night is very important. Don't come to me whining when you are down to your last unmentionables. Wednesday is also quite possibly the first time that I've sat at a bar and refused to get any alcohol. EVER. I was that tired. Crazy things have been happening in my life lately. So I guess I shouldn't be too shocked by this. That's what life is. A whole shocking shock of shocks!!

8:36 PM I had the darnedest idea who or what was playing. Good thing I took a picture! A few months ago, I signed up to volunteer for the annual CMJ (College Music Journal) Music Festival. The Festival is a convention for new, indie labeled, unsigned, signed bands to showcase themselves on the stages around NYC. Every night there's about 3/4 groups performing at all the venues listed for the CMJ festival. So you'll get a load of exposure for the $15-$20 you'll have to pay at the door. Or a whopping $250+ for the CMJ pass for the whole week! Yeah. I've been going to one/two shows the last few years. I've always had a great experience. But this year I volunteered instead XD


So, I was lucky to get assigned to Bowery Ballroom because I knew that you can hear the music at the entrance/bar area where I'd be working, anyways. But goodness. Lack of sleep, heavy music and a bar DO NOT MIX WELL. Remember that, kiddos.

Bad Books was the "show" of the night. Everyone who came in was making sure they were there for them. I even saw one of the band member's whole family come. Now that's sweet. Why Bad Books? I can't really explain the name. But it's memorable enough. I was excited to hear them, in part because the band before them were...interesting. Right Away, Great Captain! O.o I was anxious for them to be over. It was just a mess of music. Then I realized it's because their music is very tender and slow. Like Jack Johnson. And it was putting me to sleep. It seems more meant for a coffee bar/lounge place rather than the Ballroom. No hate. Just wasn't the right atmosphere. But I really like their song, "Love Come Save Me." I wish they'd do something with that name. "Oh, what's your band's name?" "Well, it's 'Right Away, Gre-'" "ZZzzzZZ."



RAGH is headed by the lead singer of Manchester Orchestra, Andy Hull. Their first album, "The Bitter End" was released in 2007. Latest, "The Big Bad Devil and Great Good God," was released this year.

Andy Hull is ALSO one of the lead singers of "Bad Books"! Two gigs, one night. Nice. The band is also lead by Kevin Devine, who is also a member of the Manchester Orchestra. I see them as an indie version of Snow Patrol(song - Chasing Cars). And definitely more mellow. I didn't think that it was possible to be more mellow than Snow Patrol. Bad Books only formed at the beginning of this year, and are getting a lot of buzz already. The band released their first and self-titled album on October 19, 2010. You can get their singles for free from their Facebook page. I ended the night with some pretzels and a cab ride home. Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment